Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Let's Play Catch

Hhhok I haven't written in a long time so it's major catch up time!

Last Thursday:  Carrie was here to visit me!  We checked out all the booths up for orientation week got a ton of free stuff!  I introduced her to my Student Life crew, then we just hung out in a park on campus here.  It was nice just to relax and be with someone who knows you.  I've been meeting a lot of people lately so it was nice to just BE. Then we headed back to the Student Life booth and walked to Marlon's house for a BBQ!  It was fun to hang out with some more Christian peeps I hadn't met yet!  We had to leave pretty much right after eating though because I had my first trial to go to!  The Gelato Shop had called me in to do a 3 hr trial (they don't do interviews here, they just have you come in for a trial where they teach you what you need to know the first hour then they watch and judge you the next two hours to see if you can do the job right... intimidating!).  It was really fun to work  there.  Who knew there was such an art to scooping Gelato?  It literally took me the whole hour to get the hang of it!  It is a really fun shop and super into to community.  Like the owner I worked with knew everyone's name and was so friendly!  At the end of the night she gave me a quart of Gelato to take home too!  Carrie and I devoured it in about 3 min. haha I was so excited! The owner told me she would call me on Saturday with a final decision about the job...

Friday:  Carrie and I went to the Sydney Opera house.  It was a long trek through downtown and for some reason we were both tired so it felt like it took forever to get there!  I was wearing one of Carrie's dresses that was ridiculously loose with the wind.... So I ended up flashing all of Sydney at least three times throughout the day.  It was quite embarrassing.  Also quite funny.  It was really sunny so we both got plenty of sun that day!  On they way back we stopped by the grocery store... Carrie spoiled the both of us by buying Tim Tams & chocolate cookies!  We had a mini feast that included:  Easy Mac, Chocolate Cookies, Pineapple Orange Juice and a grand finale of Tim Tam Slams (which is when one bites off both ends of the cookie and uses it like a straw to drink milk, then eating the cookie as a whole. Tim Tams are like two chocolate wafers with Chocolate cream in the middle, the dipped in milk chocolate.  they are a DREAM!).  We def had food babies after that!

Saturday:  We decided to check out the Brett Whittley Studio.  I had marked a few studio artists that I wanted to check out in my tourist book and he was one of them.  Neither of us wanted to walk super far so it was nice that he wasn't all the way downtown!  We headed there for a while. He was an interesting artists to say the least... then we had a classy 7 Eleven lunch on a bench on the side of the road.  We were both tired and the sun was wearing us down so we couldn't make it all the way home before being refreshed.  It was quite a delightful lunch.  We sat on the bench for a long time just talking about life.  We ended up bending our beverage cans into monsters and we were entertained with them for quite some time.  The people in the cars driving by gave us pretty strange looks but we just found it amusing!  We got back to my room & got all showered and cute.  Then Carrie treated me to a dinner out.  We decided to go to a Pasta place down on King Street.  It was such good pasta!!  And it was fun to go out on a little date :)   Carrie is way too good to me!! :)

The Gelato shop never did call... so I kind of lost hope!

Sunday:  Carrie & I went to church at Eternity Christian then afterward the Church does an outreach luncheon every month and so we went along!  It was at this Center near apartment buildings that Eternity has been building relations with for the past five years.  So each of the newbees got paired up with a pro and each pair took on a different level of the building.  Me and my buddy went to the town houses.  We all went door to door just letting people know that there was a free lunch available and that we'd love to see them!  We also carried baskets filled with goodies such as cheese biscuits, olives and jams that we would hand to everyone living there.  No one we had talked to had decided to come out to lunch but I pray that they were blessed by our smiles and goodies!  After that we headed back to my place so Carrie could figure out the train she needed to catch to meet up with her roommate who was giving her a ride back to Canberra.  She got all packed up, then I walked her to the station and we said our goodbyes :(  On the way home I discovered a farmers market that was only about a 5 min walk from my place that had fresh fruits & veggies every Saturday morning!  I'm planning on being there... ever Saturday morning! haha  Then I just hung out in my room, did some reading and had an early bed time because the first day of school was here!  Also the Gelato shop had texted me and told me to come in for a second trial on Wednesday! Which means I still have a chance!!  Let's just hope I remember how to scoop right!

Monday:  I don't have any classes before 10 am but for some reason I just couldn't sleep in.  I guess I was just excited!  My first class was Psych 1001.  I discovered that there are 2200 students taking this course split up into 6 different lecture halls!  I was blown away at how many students there were!  I felt like I was in an overcrowded airport at Christmas.  Lines were blocks long for everything, bookstore, library, offices, class changes etc.  It was a crazy zoo!  I was pretty overwhelmed since I'm so used to my tiny little MN schools!  I ended up finding a little hide out just to catch my breath and decided to just sit and read before my next class, the quiet was really refreshing!  Then I had my History of Psychology & Psychiatry class.  I love my prof!  He's this sweet old witty Finish man who made history really intriguing to listen to.  I think I'm really going to enjoy him!  Although this class seems really challenging , they normally only accept Seniors in this course so I was the only Junior, which is intimidating but at the same time it gives me some motivation!
I was pretty overloaded by the end of the day so I headed back to my place for lunch and ended up cleaning my room, reorganizing my closet & shelves & dusting!  I love that I clean when I'm stressed! haha  Around 5 I headed to meet up with Sophia (She's one of the girls who is in Student Life who I got to talk to a ton on Wednesday, we have a ton in common and she was nice enough to meet up with me to go over our first days!).  We headed to get some Thai food (there are about 845283484 ridiculously good Thai places in King street!)  We ended up taking for a good 3 hrs! I feel like we could have talked all night but it takes her about an hour to get home on the bus so she had to take off.  It was the perfect ending to my first day, just to be able to talk with someone I was so instantly comfortable around!  She's an awesome blessing in my life!  Afterwards I headed back to my room and did some reading.  I'm reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.  That man just gets to me, I can't help it!  I ended up reading about half the book before falling asleep.

Today!
I woke up early again and decided to do more reading since I didn't have class till 1 today.  I had almost finished my book only 20 pgs left before I had to go to class.  I had another Psych 1001 lecture, today it was on Personality.  It's nice that the lectures are all broken up by categories but at the same time it's annoying because I've already taken full courses on 5 out of the 6 categories...  The Personality Prof is a complete nut.  He reminds me of Prof Nava on his crazy days when he decides to be a different personality but ten times worse...  This prof explained that his shirt was of the head demon angel and that if you're nice to demons they'll protect you which is why he's wearing it as a t-shirt.  He also had these beads that are supposedly from evil spirits that are also protecting him.  He held the beads the entire lecture.... Considering I took a whole course in Personality and the fact that this man scares me I'm planning on not going to most of his lectures...
Between class I had just enough time to finish my book which made me happy!  Read it in 2 days! haah
My next class was Cognition Language & Learning.  It was so interesting!  This first lecture the prof had just filled with interactive examples of language and how we understand it and how it can be manipulating.  We would listen to lyrics and try to make out what they said... everyone just looked like idiots but it was so fun!  Her lecture was filled with these fun interactive examples which made everyone loosen up but it was also a good way to remember everything she was saying.  I think I'm going to absolutely love this class!
After class I headed back to my room for a bit to try and understand the copy center website.  Prof's don't print anything off for anyone so student have to order these handbooks that the copy center makes for you but it's a confusing process... So far all of my books are available in the Library on Reserve so I'm going to try and not buy any books... we'll see how this works.  If not I'll end up just buying them... but all the profs are demanding the latest version of every book which makes it impossible to buy an old book :/
At 7 I walked to Church for a prayer session.  The church is having a conference this weekend so the prayer was primarily for that.  There were about 10 of us who worshiped and prayed together.  It was really the perfect midweek refresher.  God is good!  Marlon's brother Ricardo was there who introduced me to his housemate, Erin.  Erin came to AU through AustraLearn her Junior year just like me!  She's originally from Washington.  She loved being in Student Life so much that she returned home to finish her degree and raise support to come on Staff with Student Life!  So this year she's just being a missionary to student here.  She actually lived in the same dorm I did!  I'm really excited to hang out with her more!  My ride was leaving so I wasn't able to talk long but we're going to set up a date! :)

Tomorrow I only have one class at 11.  Then I'm having lunch with Student life!  God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment